Certification: Integrated Science Educator for Middle School Science
This standards-based program is designed to enhance elementary and middle school teachers' science content knowledge, improve the teaching of science at the elementary level, and provide a path to middle school science certification (NJ Middle School Endorsement in Science, Grades 5-8) for those candidates who complete the course requirements and pass the Middle School Science Praxis Exam (Praxis II Science Test #0439).
The unique program design offers a combination of inquiry-based lab work in state-of-the art biology and chemistry lab facilities on the College of Saint Elizabeth campus and field trips that make optimal use of the many local and regional natural resources. The program consists of one on-line introductory course in the life sciences, three intensive all-day, week-long summer courses in the integrated sciences, and a hybrid (on-line and on-campus) culminating science pedagogy course that includes in-person and cyber-mentoring to support the development of science curriculum. A course that includes adolescent development and behavior will be required for students who have not taken a course in or including adolescent psychology.
Students who complete this program will:
- Increase their science content knowledge and their confidence in teaching science.
- Recognize and use effective, standards-based science teaching methods
- Employ the tools and processes of scientific inquiry to improve teaching and learning.
- Obtain the credits needed for a NJ Middle School Endorsement in Science (Grades 5-8).
Who should enroll?
- Any educator who aims to develop an integrated curriculum in math, science, technology and engineering.
- Elementary teachers who wish to enhance their employability
- Elementary teachers who want to earn certification for NJ Middle School Science (Grades 5-8)
- Elementary teaching certificate required if seeking a middle school science endorsement
- Baccalaureate degree with 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Completed and signed application form
- One letter of recommendation from a professional contact in a school or college/university.
Program Total: 16 credits
|IS601||Life Science in the 21st Century||
|IS602||Matter and Energy||
|IS603||Motion Forces and System Dynamics||
|IS604||Integrated Science & Engineering :Content & Practice Applications||
|IS605||Professional Practice in Science Teaching||
*Additional Course Requirements: Applicants applying for the Middle School Science Certification who have not taken a course that includes adolescent development and behavior will be required to take PSY606 Early Childhood, Childhood, and Adolescent Development and Behavior.